Anyway, the point is, we discovered we have a lot in common!
The only down-side of this was that it took a while before we actually started playing!
But once we did, things went rather well, if I don't say so myself. All the various changes I had made since play-test 1.0 seemed to improve the balance of the game as well as speed it up. Daryl was only supposed to say until 4:00pm, but stayed a little bit longer. We didn't really get started until about 2:00pm, so considering how little time we'd spent "pushing lead" across the table, we made good progress...
Battle was RECONVENED -- and yet, due to the seemingly omnipresent shortage of time, which I have now dubbed "Wargamus Interuptus," yet again cut short before reaching its conclusion! Still, we used the new Game Cards, which worked very well, and saw one of the most dramatic turns-of-fortune ever recorded in the history of miniature wargaming -- at least around these parts -- when my 3 fresh and barely touched units of GHAZI FANATICS charged out of hiding on the reverse slope of the "Red Ridge" hill and into the 2 figure wide Road Column of 5th Punjab Infantry, who were headed North on the Road to Kabul and about to emerge out of the short, narrow gorge between the Red Ridge and its Western Spur. Just behind the 5th Punjabis on the same road were 2 LIMBERED MOUNTAIN GUNS, unable to fire as they were packed up on the backs of their mules.
Oh, man, it makes an Afghan player salivate just thinking of the mayhem and heavy casualties which should have ensued...
And yet, did not. My dedicated Holy Warriors needed only to roll 16 or below on a D20 to Close into Combat.
All three units rolled an 18. Actually, one of them might have rolled a 19.
Anyway, for whatever reason, they all turned tail and ran up the road towards Kabul.
Meanwhile I inflicted some casualties in the center and on the Eastern flank as the battle proceeded -- but then was cut short once again by the demands of the outside/"real" world.
At the time play was suspended, I would say things were going the way of the British, though the final result was still far from decided.
I'm in the midst of more real-world work and also prepping some easy-access Game Charts for the players at Colonial Barracks V, which combine all the necessary info for any one player to use for all the troops under his/her command throughout the game onto a single 8-1/2"x11sheet of card stock (same as I used for the custom game cards), with the ROSTER of all their units listed on the reverse side, along with a period image of their historical antecedent (you can see pics of both sides of one of these at the bottom of this post).
But before getting to that, here's a bunch of pics showing the recent two-part play-test...