Above is a pic of Lt. Colonel James Galbraith, Regimental Colour in hand, alongside Bobbie the regimental dog and some of the other "Last Eleven" survivors of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment, making their last stand in one of the walled gardens just South of Khig village, a few miles West of the Afghan town of Maiwand.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Last 3 one-contour hills completed...

Earlier this evening I finished work on the third of the last 3 low sandy hills needed for my Charasiab terrain layout.  I started out thinking I would need 6 of these hills, but later, upon further and more detailed examination via Google Earth, realized I needed 3 more of them, in order to cover the appropriate area.

Here's a pic showing all 9 of the low hills in place, nestled between the line of more imposing rocky hills to the North and one imposing rocky hill to the South:


You can also see some of the roads I've been making out of latex caulk, mixed in with paper templates I use to get them the right size and shape.  The low hills and the roads should be usable in a wide variety of combinations, rather than just serving as a full-time "Charasiab diorama".

I still need to finish a bunch more roads, and make a lot of farm fields -- out of latex with flock &/or static-grass glued onto it -- which will lie to the East and West of the low hills, but the major job that remains is the two rivers.  I've started to prepare the materials necessary, and hope to begin that process before the end of the Spring.  I really need to finish cleaning out the garage before starting to build the river pieces, so it will take some time, but I think there's a decent chance it will get done by the end of the Summer.  If that happens, I may be able to play a commemorative game on the 135th Anniversary of the battle of Charasiab, this coming October 6th.  No guarantees, but a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment